Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Pleasantville...


Andrew has introduced me to many wonderful things...

When we met, I had been a strict vegetarian for ten years.  I wasn't a 'healthy' vegetarian.  I basically survived on bagels, rice and all other things carb related.  Early in our dating life I watched him cook and eat steak.  It smelled good.  It looked good, and a few weeks later, it tasted good as well.

When I met Andrew I smoked cigarettes.  I was one of those smokers who swore they would never quit.  I loved my long,  skinny, lovely, cigarettes (this just seems gross now, I know...).  I had a silver Zippo lighter, that I could open AND light on my jeans (so cool) and a matching silver cigarette case, both engraved, of course.  Smoking was a part of my persona... Andrew hated smoking, and as a result, I found that I didn't smoke when I was with him, and eventually I was with him so much, that I stopped smoking altogether.  Quitting was actually, kind of, easy.

Growing up I always had 'different' taste, and a love for unique things.  Music.  Fashion.  I credit this to sista Shari who introduced me to so many cool things.  I will never understand how she discovered so many cool things living on a tobacco farm.  Then I met Andrew, and he introduced me to an entirely new universe of music I had never heard before... 

When Andrew and I first connected, we felt an almost desperate need to educate one another on everything that defined us as indiviuals... music, films, food... all of it.  We watched 'Withnail and I' (his film) and 'Notting Hill' (my film).  No judgement from either party, only pure appreciation and love.

Throughout our relationship he has often talked about, no... RAVED about the movie Pleasantville - but for some reason I had never seen it, until last night.  It was truly wonderful.  Beautiful and poignant, especially with everything going on in the world right now.  If you haven't watched it - do.  You will be glad you did.

One scene in particular brought me to my knees emotionally...  The mural scene.  Watching this piece immediately reminded me of one of my sister's written pieces:  "William Was Here".  After everyone went to bed last night, I pulled out the box where I keep all of Shari's writing pieces.  I read "William Was Here" for the first time in years.  I will share it here at some point.  It is beautiful.  Just like Shari.

Happy Birthday Andrew.  Thank you for the patience, understanding, kindness and love that you always gave to Shari.  Thank you for showing me Pleasantville, and all of life's most colourful pieces...

jbxo

No comments: