Monday, January 3, 2022

Peace, Hope and an Angel...

After we lost Shari we started the task of going through her things… including many items which had been packed away in a storage unit she had rented. I was the first of my family to arrive on the morning we began to tackle these items.  I distinctly remember the feeling as I pulled up, the quiet, the calm and the sadness.  Specifically the realization of how sad it is that after we are gone all that is left are our ‘things’, and the people we love are tasked with sorting, keeping, gifting them.

When I opened the storage locker I immediately saw three items sitting out, two items were perched on a wooden bench and one was on the floor of the unit, not tucked away in boxes or bags like everything else. 

The first item was a metal Peace sign. 
The second was a fabric banner with the word Hope.
The final item was this Angel. 

Peace, Hope and an Angel. 

I sat on the wooden bench, holding those three items for a very long time.  Those three words and three items got me through that day, and many days since. I still have all three of these special objects in our home, and the Angel has topped our Christmas tree every year since 2014. After each Christmas season comes to an end she moves from the tree to the top of our piano in the living room. She is always there.
 

Sending Peace and Hope into this new year...

jbxo 

1 comment:

Catherine Skinner said...

This is so lovely. I believe our dear ones always send us signs and signals like this, to support us through our grief. Thank you for sharing. X