Friday, March 7, 2008

Almost Famous.

I graduated from university with a major in Theatre.  I couldn't understand why my parents seemed disappointed when I proudly announced at the dinner table that "becoming famous" was my career path of choice.  After four years in university I was the proud owner of a Bachelor of Arts degree.  The world was my oyster.  Step 1 to becoming famous:  getting my "headshots" taken.  $400 worth of professional photos of my face later, I was on a bus to the big city to find an agent.  The first agency I met with informed me that I was the "next big thing".  I had "the look" they wanted, and my education was a bonus.  They called me their next "leading lady".  Then they asked me for a $150 "registration fee".  Unfortunately, I didn't know that this is not common practice among reputable agencies.  I didn't research who the reputable agencies were.  I WAS GOING TO BE FAMOUS!  I didn't have to worry about such trivial details!  Two weeks later I left my car unlocked over night, and someone stole the leather portfolio containing all of my photos (it still gives me the creeps to think of what may have become of 50 8x10 photos of my face).  I phoned my agency for advice:  "We're sorry, the number you have dialed is no longer in service.  Please check the number and try your call again.  This is a recording."  $550 lighter, and 13 years later, I have realized this building is as close as I will ever come to seeing my name in lights.  It was taken by a dear friend who lives in that same big city.  Oddly enough I have driven past this wall a few times over the past 13 years.  Every time I see it my chest puffs up a little bit, and I can't help but smile.

jbxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are famous! How can you forget your debut on "Speaker's Corner"? It ended up on the commercial for said show, every day for two months! You are a shining star and don't you forget it, Sista!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules

I love your blogs and like to enjoy them in peace and quiet so I can take them in. I laugh, cry and love everyone one of them. Fate is a funny thing and you were destinated to be with our family, not only are you famous is Canada but here in Newcastle your famous to, check out http://www.julesb.co.uk/, its one of our most famous designer stores, my other husband shops there (Mr Shearer)......very expensive but I will try and purchase something so you can have the posh carrier bag!! Love and miss you loads, keep the blogs coming, love them, debs xxxxx